Christmas mince samoosas
Source: The X-Diet Cookbook by Tabitha Hume
Makes: About 20
1 egg white, lightly beaten
4 Tbsp (60 ml) fat-free milk
1/2 roll (250g) phyllo pastry
2 cups (500ml) fruit mince meat
1/3 cup (80ml) sherry, medium cream or sweet
caster sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Mix together egg white and fat-free milk.
- Cut the phyllo pastry into 40 strips 5x30cm and brush each with the egg-milk mixture.
- Put about 1 Tbsp of fruitmince at the bottom of a strip, and fold over the bottom of the pastry to form a square.
- Fold over again, and continue until you get to the end of the strip.
- Place the square, with open sides horizontal, at the base on another strip. Fold in the same manner, to make a neat package.
- Brush the top with sherry, sprinkle caster sugar and place on a baking tray.
- Repeat until all fruit mince and strips are used.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until the pastry is browned at the edges.
- Leave to cool slightly, until just comfortable to hold.
- Serve as they are or as pudding piping hot with fat-free icecream.
Be sure not to use mincemeat made with suet. Look for a fat-free brand.
I usually make these folding them as triangles rather than squares as I find that easier