Beef and beer pie
Source: FreshLiving August 2009
Hearty stuff. Comfort food at its best. Bulk up your pie with extra steak and chunks of potato.
- Oil, for frying
- 8 baby onions, quartered
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 600g boneless beef chuck steak
- Seasoned flour, for dusting
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) tomato paste
- 2 cups (500 ml) beef stock
- 1 /2 cup (125 ml) beer
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 roll (400g) ready-rolled short-crust pastry
- Milk, for brushing
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat a heavy-based pot.
- Add a glug of oil and saute onions and carrots until golden.
- Remove from pot and set aside.
- Cube beef. Toss in seasoned flour and pan-fry in batches to brown.
- Return onions and carrots to pot and add remaining ingredients. Season.
- Simmer partially covered for 45 minutes, until mixture has reduced and thickened. Cool.
- Cut pastry to fit into 4 small (7cm) ramekins.
- Spoon in beef mixture and cover with pastry.
- Cut a small hole in the centre of pastry and brush with a little milk.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
- Instead of carrots, use parsnips or potatoes.
- Add curry paste for a spicy option.